Since September is National Disaster Preparedness Month and with all of the natural disasters occurring over the last few weeks, we must remember to include our pets in our disaster planning.
The AVMA has created a checklist of supplies for your pet evacuation kit.
- a several day supply of food and fresh water
- a supply of your pets medications
- first aid supplies such as antibiotic ointment and bandage material
- medical history information
- rabies certificate
- microchip information: MAKE SURE YOUR PETS ARE MICROCHIPPED AND IDENTIFIABLE
- comfort items such as a pet bed, blanket, toys
- litter and litterbox for our feline friends
- leash and collar
- recent photo.
- small crate or carrier for cats and small dogs
With just a little planning, we can minimize the risk of our pets getting lost and decrease our stress level during a difficult time. You should keep all of the items together so they are easily found. Remember to update medical records, food, water and medication regularly.