One of the most common questions that I receive is “Why does my indoor cat need a rabies vaccine?”
- It is the law! All cats healthy enough to receive vaccinations are required by law in Erie County to receive a Rabies vaccination.
- Rabies in cats is on the rise mainly due to owners not having their cats vaccinated.
- There is NO cure for Rabies!
- Rabies is a zoonotic disease, meaning it can be transmitted to people.
- Indoor cats are most often exposed to rabies when an infected bat enters the house
- Your cat may inadvertently get outside and become exposed.
- In 2014, 62% of all rabies cases in domestic species occurred in cats.
Here, at the Cheektowaga Veterinary Hospital, we use a Rabies vaccine that is specifically formulated for cats to reduce the risk of reactions associated with certain vaccinations.
Please schedule your cats’ examination today and discuss the need for a rabies vaccination with one of our veterinarians!