BLUE-GREEN ALGAE AND DOGS

Posted on by
  • Blue-green algae are actually types of bacteria called cyanobacteria.  This bacteria thrives in warm water and when conditions are right the bacteria can quickly grow and form “blooms”
  • Sometimes blooms are easily identified, looking like “pea soup”.  However, some blooms are smaller and may be much less evident.
  • These blue-green algae blooms produce cyanotoxins that are toxic to animals and humans.  Dogs are especially at risk because they are not deterred from swimming and drinking the affected water.
  • Dogs are at risk if they swallow, have skin contact or even breathe in airborne infected water.
  • Symptoms of cyanotoxicity can occur within minutes of exposure.  Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty breathing, seizures and even death.
  • Very small exposures, such as a few mouthfuls of contaminated water may result in a fatal poisoning.
  • If you suspect that your dog may have been exposed, rinse them off with freshwater and seek the NEAREST veterinary help IMMEDIATELY!
  • The best advice is to keep your dog leashed around bodies of water.  Do not let your dog swim or drink out of any ponds or lakes.