Halloween Hazards

Posted on by

Halloween can be a very fun and festive time of year for many families and their children.  However, this can be one of the most dangerous holidays for your pet.  There are many hazards associated with Halloween.  The following are a few items to be wary of to help your pet have a safe and stress free holiday!

  • Chocolate:  Chocolate contains methylxanthines, chemicals similar to caffeine, that can quickly sicken our pets. In general the darker the chocolate, the more poisonous it is.
  • Candy:  Large quantities of any candy can cause gastrointestinal upset and pancreatitis.
  • Candy wrappers:  Candy wrappers can cause a bowel obstruction if ingested.
  • Raisins:  Although raisins can be a healthier alternative to candy for people, raisins can be quite toxic to our pets.  Raisins can cause kidney failure.  The reaction is idiosyncratic, in other words, in some pets ANY amount can cause issues.
  • Glow sticks:  The contents of glow sticks can cause pain and irritation in the mouth if chewed on.
  • Costumes:  Costumes for your pet may look cute but they can cause discomfort and anxiety for your pet.  Make sure they do not impair vision or mobility.
  • Xylitol:  Xylitol is a common sugar substitute that can cause a life threatening drop in blood sugar and liver failure.
  • Candles:  Keep candles and lit pumpkins away from our pets.


Do not leave pets outside on Halloween.  They are at risk of being stressed, fearful and injured.  Make sure your pet is wearing identification or is microchipped in case they get loose.  Keep pets away from the door.  The doorbell, costumes and yelling children can be very scary to our pets.


With proper precautions, you and your pets can have a safe and Happy Halloween!!!